Monday 7 May 2007

Bjork - Volta First Impressions






Today I did something I rarely do..






Something I haven't done for years...







I bought a CD.


Not exactly life changing stuff I know but I had to draw you in somehow, that is, if anyone's there. Anyway back to the point, Bjork's shiny new album came out in the UK today. Five days after its release in Japan, and strangely, Six days after its release in the media hub that is.....Mexico. I had intended to go to the Woolworths down the road to perform this historic act, but it being a bank holiday I was persuaded to make a day of it and spend more money than I had originally intended and celebrate the purchase with McDonalds. In retrospect I don't think Woolworths would have had a Bjork album in stock, despite pre release hype suggesting its her most 'pop' album yet, so it was probably the right choice in the end.

Anyway as I strode into the not so local branch of HMV there it was, a solid bright red chunk of the new releases shelf was occupied by Iceland's biggest export. (Icelandic readers correct me if im wrong) I took down the limited edition version of the album. I wasn't one to generally buy limited/special edition versions of anything especially not at £15 but it was Bjork and it felt nice and chunky in my hand so I bought it. After spending far too much time in WHSmith trying to spend £20's worth of vouchers to the irritation of my friends and having a unplanned detour to a friends house for a few games of Pro, I returned home Volta firmly in hand.

The packaging was all very nice, some nice mini sleeves with some eye catching photographs of Bjork in typically eccentric clothing/costume, and a nice sticker which I resourcefully peeled off the front of the box and placed on my guitar. (Not sure I like it there so It may find a new home soon enough) One complaint, the CD and DVD both come in envelopes, brightly coloured envelopes, but envelopes nonetheless, a jewel CD case would have been nice especially considering I spent £15!

Rants on the packaging and rambling on my day aside onto the music.On first impressions its ok, I don't really get how its more 'pop' than anything she's done before, its no more pop than Homogenic or Post. The three Timbaland produced tracks is of the most accessible stuff she's done in a while but the rest of the album is just like a typical Bjork albums plenty of ballads and strange instrumentals to keep the fans happy, no real massive change in direction here.

But maybe thier should have been, as the 'different' tracks stand out the most on my initial listens. The three Timbaland produced tracks, Earth Intruders, Innocence and Hope, have a far more distinctive beat to them, and Declare Independence which has a far grittier, angry sound to it.

The album mix of Earth Intruders is far superior to the single cut, its much longer with a extra verse thrown in. It feels a bit muffled, whenever I hear it I want to turn it up some more and not in a good way, the instruments just aren’t loud enough for my liking to the point where it is almost frustrating.

Innocence features a Timbaland beat that would appear to be more at home on a Nelly Futardo album, but it works perfectly with Bjork's soaring, dynamic voice as well as it would with Ms Futardo's.

Hope has a much more low key beat behind it, and song is focused on Bjork's vocals and lyrics about suicide bombers (I think).

My final favourite is the song I like most, Declare Independence, a modern Pluto but much much better, like Pluto it has Bjork's voice switching from a her normal melodic floaty notes to a raw primal snarl, with a deep grinding constant bassline in the background with is eventually joined by a headache inducing (in a good way) drumbeat. The song is a war cry for well err, Independence and encourages the listener to "start your own currency/make your own stamp/protect your language" An obvious political tone here, but a great song first. If Bjork does actually peruse a new sound in a few years time for her next album then this should be it.

What does everyone else think? I think im going to start writing in Arial, much nicer. Dunno who im talking to..

No comments: