Thursday 10 May 2007

The Advancing Guitarist



After progressing through Justin Sandercoe's excellent beginners guitar course (If you play guitar you owe to it yourself to visit his site) I felt a bit lost their was plenty of stuff left on the site for me to learn and I am currently trying to commit the Pentatonic scale to memory, but I need structure. I need discipline! I bought this book ignoring all the warnings about its lack of 'user friendliness' thinking of myself as an 'intermediate' player now, a Advancing Guitarist if you will. I hoped this book would provide me with a good structure in which to learn advanced techniques from. To pick me up where Justin left me hanging.

I dont think it will.

On a quick skim through it appears to be written in an alien language, proper musical notation! Because I live in the ghettos of London my secondary education of Music was poor to say the least, despite Mrs Ross's best intentions to tame our class and teach us some music theory she cracked and had a mental breakdown.

So I'd have to stretch back all the way to Ms Crombie in primary school and my brief venture into playing the Cello before I could possibly remember anything to do with notation. Yeah Im learning an instrument now, but tabs are so easy and tell me everything I need to know why should I have to learn notes and thingy’s because of this book. Very disappointing, I should have seen it coming, im not sure what I was thinking at the time, but you know Justin said it was "the best guitar book ever written" and I've grown to trust Justin over the past few months, ah well im sure it'll be a good future investment for whenever I am a 'Advancing Guitarist' I blame the government for my lacklustre music education.


At least I have some bedtime reading now though...



EDIT: Oh yeah Bjork's albums starting to grow on me, Wanderlust is actually quite funky its sort of a ballad but its beat is too quick for a ballad it works well, you might say its a Hyper-Ballad.

Ill get my coat.

No comments: