Saturday 1 March 2008

Oh, Hi!

I have returned...

Been very busy with College work, or rather not doing College work, but let's not get into that.

Proper updates are incoming, I've got a couple of reviews on Hot Chip's Made in the Dark and Vampire Weekend's eponymous debut that should find their way onto this blog sooner or later.

For the time being I just thought I'd share a thought provoking article I found on Guardian Unlimited's blog page sort of 'area' that I found whilst looking for a review for The Kills latest album.

The couple of tracks I heard just now on Jools Holland sound quite sexy if I say so myself. I had a image of them being another bland 'rent-a-rockstar' type Indie bands that so many bands that have the prefix 'The' seem to be, but refreshingly they couldn't be further from that. A nice minimal guitar-vocals duo that's quite hard to describe in anyway so I'll just leave it to you to work out what I mean.

Anyway enough of going off on Gonzoesque tangents and back on message, I found this and found it quite interesting, especially in comparision to my (much) earlier 'Indie not all that Indie' post and a conversation I was having earlier today about the rise and inevitable fall of 'Indie' rock.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/02/nme_awards_turning_rebellion_i.html


Turning up at the O2 arena in Greenwich last night was an exercise in quelling cynicism. In an effort to "extend the brand", legendary music magazine NME has moved its annual awards bash to the former Dome, hugely expanded it and appended a "big gig" for 17,000 paying fans to the end. The question was: could the distilled spirit of rock 'n' roll be found here, among the fake palm trees, myriad themed restaurants, ice skating rink, ancient egyptian treasures and punters queuing to see Rambo?

No comments: